Thursday 12 March 2020

CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL DAY 3 - QUICK WRITE UPS



MARSH CHASE

ITCHY FEET was impressive over fences at Leicester and Sandown but the real eye-catching thing was how he pecked a bit two out then got himself straight back on the bridle. We know he likes it here, we know he handles give underfoot so he looks to be the most likely winner and the line through MIDNIGHT SHADOW (albeit a loose one) is interesting should now CHAMP has won the RSA. MIDNIGHT SHADOW himself is capable of running a big race although this looks very deep.
I wasn’t even sure FAUGHEEN would travel over but he deserves a chance and my word would it be some spectacle to see him leading up the hill one more time. 3 from 3 over fences and no doubt the best horse of any of these on his day, has the beating of SAMCRO so regardless of EASY GAME’S run yesterday over a longer trip, surely he has to be considered

MISTER FISHER struck me last term that there might be an issue with him and the Spring. Won his Kempton bumper then was well beaten at Aintree. Second first first over hurdles up to January then 8th in Supreme and well beaten fav at Haydock in May. This season he’s gone second first first again including winning round here, but the level of that win (Beating GOODBOY BOBBY getting 5lbs) isn’t Festival winning standard but a chance he was one of a few last year for Seven Barrows who didn’t handle the Flu Vaccine like EPATANTE

How can you possibly work out how good or how bad SAMCRO is? I’m happy to keep it short, he’s clearly capable of mixing it in this company, he’s a dual Grade 1 winner, but so often he’s underwhelmed and he sounds like he’s hard to diagnose at home so if they can’t really strike the light with him, it’d be hard for me to provide a noteworthy case. That said, I reckon a few antepost slips have snuck through on him and he’s another where I suspect the scenes would be immense if he landed this

Willie Mullins has done well in this race and is throwing plenty of darts. I’ve always liked TORNADO FLYER and there is no way we’ve seen his limit so I’d give him an outside chance. BAPUAME will be better at this trip and has run well here in the past while MELON has £300k in earnings but only around 10% that is from winnings. Does like it round here but dangerously similar to a MIN where he runs well but just doesn’t seem to win here. I like him though, don’t think this is his trip (looked to be well covered when falling 3 out at Aintree) but Willie knows better than me and festival form is a huge interest to me

Not even sure it’s the ground with RESERVE TANK anymore I just wonder if he’s possibly not quite the same horse in the early part of the season. Will be slow enough ground, but one thing in his defence was he improved for racing last term so this might put him spot on for Aintree & Punchestown. Would have liked to see another run before this race to expect him to be competitive


PERTEMPS

The plot jobs of all plot jobs usually wins this but it’s always a hard puzzle to solve and many have already been backed at prices. RELEGATE is one (Feel free to quote me after she wins) I don’t think jumps well enough and she maybe looks flattered by passing tired horses late on. I could be wrong and she’ll be staying home but she’s not for me. SKANDIBURG might just be high enough in the weights now while THE STORYTELLER was well touted for this last year and must have a chance off his mark. KILBRICKEN STORM is likely to run well without winning but at prices I still give chances to TOUT EST PERMIS & ROCKET LAD. The former has been nibble slightly and is more than capable of this mark while the latter has been easy to back and is available at 66/1 at the time of writing. I could be wrong and he’s just not a very well horse but his last couple of runs have looked suspicious to me but on that penultimate start he did get some course experience. Worth a poke at that price for sure


RYANAIR

A PLUS TARD – Probably for the best he swerved the Dublin Racing Festival as looked to enjoy the break when bolting up at the meeting last year. Does need to step forward to my eye to really justify his 165 mark (won a handicap and beat ORDINARY WORLD 10l – I know CHACUN was second). Only 6 so could easily have a bright future and more festival wins, but I’m just not certain he justifies being favourite off the back of beating CHACUN, who we need to see tested at the highest level. Granted there is a literal line between him and MIN, but they raced different versions of the same horse and this is over a different trip

MIN – My guilty pleasure. To be honest I’ll be glad when he retires so I can stop being drawn in! Trip is OK for him (Melling Chase win dampened by POLITOLOGUE bleeding), track is fine for him, tactically he’s not as versatile as some, but hopefully off a positive ride, and not just forced by being keen, they won’t be able to live with him and he’s the one I think they all have to beat. I’m certainly blinkered when looking at this horse so take a few pounds off my opinion and you’re probably closer to the truth. Side point here; he might be better suited to this new course

FRODON – Proved himself last season and he’s been about for a while now. If you’re prepared to ignore his two runs this season (first one basically a bumper and second one they tried to hold onto him and wasted energy) then I think he comes here priced about right. Wouldn’t be a shock winner, but certainly vulnerable to a more proven Graded horse or an improver

RIDERS ONTHE STORM – I had him pinned a just a good handicapper and in a few strides I went from thinking he’s actually a Graded horse to thinking, nah I’ve got him right in that Ascot Chase. Not ideal prep for this having such a hard race there and started his curve at Aintree so the Melling chase might be of more interest (although talk of ALTIOR going there!)


STAYERS

PAISLEY PARK wins this. Said to be keeping him going this season for Punchestown but break is long enough he will be fully wound up here. The ONLY niggle with him is he can be untidy at the last (usually when jumping on his own) and with the short run after that flight you’d prefer to see him pop those). SUMMERVILLE BOY is well found in the market behind him now and deservedly so after that Cleeve Hurdle run, but this is a bigger and more competitive field so that should only improve PAISLEY’S performance. EMITOM has to prove he likes it here but he’ll be fully cooked. I know Warren Greatorex said he probably was too easy on him before the Relkeel but even so I don’t think he showed enough in that race to confirm he could be winning this.

PENHILL would be my lively outsider here for a few reasons. Won this race in 2018, won the Albert Bartlett in 2017 and decent effort in the Boyne hurdle in fairness (all under Paul Townend). The MAIN reason I’m more leaning towards him as a danger is because he’s been hard to train, and the fact they’ve been able to get him racing suggests they’ve brough him on slowing. Willie Mullins said after BENIE DES DIEUX’s win how pleased he was with PENHILL’s performance and he was 21L back in second running to a RPR of 141 (CRIMSON EMBERS regained in the 80’s – 82+86)


STABLE PLATE

The form line is there for all to see with SIMPLY THE BETTS but I’d want to play that down slightly. IMPERIAL AURA was weak that day, the yard were out of form so his run could easily be upgraded. SIMPLY THE BETTS was flying and arguably was 100% that day so he wouldn’t have as much in hand I’d suspect. No doubt he’ll go close but at his price and it being double figure prices bar I think it’s worth looking to take him on. DEYRANN DE CARJAC will be popular but the ground worries me for him although I think he can manage this mark. OLDGRANGEWOOD has notched up a double so comes here in flying form while BEN DUNDEE has fair course form and looks off an attractive mark.

At bigger prices I wouldn’t want to lay VISION DES FLOS despit4 him never showing up at this track and LIVELOVELAUGH also needs to prove himself here, but I think this is about his trip and he’s off a nice weight


MARES NOVICES’ HURDLE

I really do like MINELLA MELODY, her form is rock solid even going back to her bumpers. The ground will help her as she will likely appreciate further but despite having to give weight to some of this field she’s the right favourite. COLREEVY improves with her racing so it’s no surprise to see her supported especially with the Mullins factor but I’d hope MELODY can confirm recent placings, even on a 1lb worse pairing. CONCERTISTA wasn’t beaten far at all in this race last year, so forgiving her maiden hurdle defeat when odds on her form in behind others the last twice reads OK (BLACK TEARS second yesterday off 144 in the Coral Cup)
FLORESSA is the best of the British but I’m not sure she’s the winner, the slower ground might not suit her but she’s a nice prospect all the same. DOLCITA has been easy to back but has the potential to play a part


KIM MUIR

Wouldn’t be a race I’d ever had a particularly strong opinion in but it’s clearly interesting to see how LE BREUIL, under Jamie Codd, and CHAMPAGNE PLATINUM, under Derek O’Connor get on. They’re both vying for favouritism now but I was put onto PLAN OF ATTACK a while back, who featured in my 60 second clips while still 25/1 so I’d personally like a big run from him. DEISE ABA was also mentioned in that video by Daryl and Trevor Hemmings has since come out and suggested he’s the best chance he has of a winner this week



No comments:

Post a Comment